Friday, March 17, 2006

March Break / Happy St. Pat's Day...

Ah, yes, St. Patrick's Day... always brings to mind my mother, trying to make things more festive for us - I remember green milk, green Nestle's Quik (does not work), and my personal favourite, green oatmeal...

Took my young men to the Americana, a hotel / indoor waterpark in Niagara Falls, for the first half of this week, and I am still recuperating! This aging thing just blows...

Anyhow, much time was spent watersliding, and wave pooling, and wax museum-ing and Hershey outlet-ing, and in the midst of it all I managed to finish these:

While I love the look of them, I have to say that they are less clingy than I like, which I don't get - same # sts and same 2.5mm dpns as always, Regia Ringel - and I am not sure I like the toe - I used Priscilla Gibson Roberts' "Dream Socks" pattern, from an old Interweave Knits issue. I've used it before, and loved it, so I'm not sure what's different here - rather than grafting the two toe ends together, this method makes a longer piece coming up from the back over the front, then uses a zigzag cast off to make them look more like machine knit socks. Maybe they just need washing or something...

spent all of this morning in a Milton courthouse hoping to resolve something which was, of course, not resolved - fortunately, I had brought my knitting, and while I was working away, a gentleman asked if he could sit near me, as my knitting was calming him down...

thought maybe I should offer my services for cha-ching - I could be a permanent fixture there, just doing my bit to keep people calm... how rewarding!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it sounds you had such a good time at the "Americana" - though I can well relate to the age thing you mentioned... :)
I love the socks you've been doing, such lovely and fresh colors - perhaps you're right and just some washing will do the trick to make them suit perfectly?
Have fun knitting, and best wishes from Austria!

deirdre said...

Thank you so much - how lovely to hear from someone so far away! I did wash the socks and they tightened up a little, but not as much as I'd like - next time, smaller needles...