Thursday, July 03, 2008

Isn't the living supposed to be easy?

You know, summertime and all that???

We have been bus-s-s-s-y since the beginning of last week, so let's do the time warp again (with thanks to the Rocky Horror Picture Show) so I can show you.....

last Tuesday (not July 1, the one before), both of my sons graduated from their respective grades, Ben in the morning from Grade 6Ben's grade 6 grad, for which I found myself coordinating their afternoon luncheon (note to self: must work on my 'just say NO' skills this summer).

Oh, and the stars behind Ben and his teacher? Yet another instance of my spinelessness... I started with these P1010305, which were generously cut and donated by the father of a friend of mine - just scrap pressed board, nothing fancy
P1010309
UNTIL some poor schmuck spends the better part of a weekend spray-painting them gold
P1010306,
tying ribbons into the pre-cut holes and then writing on the names of all the recipients (there were 44 in total)
P1010313
and THEN, because, again, the 'n' word is not something that works unless dealing with the offspring in question (NO, I will not pay $75 for a t-shirt; NO, I will not buy you a Gibson Les Paul), same schmuck spends an hour pinning the stars to the backdrop curtain, then unpinning after the ceremony so the kids could get each other to sign the back and then keep them...
My stars!
my spray-paint laden lungs and pin-scarred fingertips may never be the same... but I digress...

that evening (last Tuesday, not the 1st - still with me?), Tanner celebrated his graduation from Grade 8...
Tanner's Grade 8 grad
Tanner was surprised to learn that I fully supported his choice of attire (an Aerosmith shirt with a suit? TOTALLY), and I was reminded yet again that dark bras are better under dark t-shirts...

We shared the traditional first dance, which interestingly was held in the cafeteria, and frankly, you can't beat food service counters for ambience, during which I kept apologizing to the poor boy who was SO uncomfortable, and then he and his friends opted out of the remainder of the dance and came with me to Dairy Queen instead...

nothing says Happy Graduation like an Oreo Blizzard...

I spent the day on the verge of tears, but held it together pretty well, only tearing up here and there and never outright blubbering, for which we were all grateful...

oh, and that same day, the school held its final assembly, during which I was presented with a lovely, thoughtful gift as a thank you for running a weekly lunch program for the past 5 years, and earning over $20,000 in total for the school coffers...

really, all I needed was Old Yeller dying in front of me to make the emotional rollercoaster complete...

since then there have been pool parties, bike rides, the latest installment of Woolgirl's sock club
Woolgirl Sock Club
I know I've said this before, but Jen puts together the most FABULOUS packages - look at the perfect, tiny froggie stitch marker in the middle of all that
frog stitch marker

There has been attempted (and aborted) warping
my special helper
Maggie didn't know what the hell I was doing, but stayed right there watching me

and then yesterday, my young men were off on their first official summer expedition - three days of 5 males in this
that's one honkin' RV

I have never seen one so big up close before - 31 feet long, at least 2 1/2 feet taller than a city bus, 2 TV's and a FULL BATHROOM - their father is of the opinion that bigger is always better... at least, until he has to drive it down a tree-laden street, leaving the carnage of torn branches and shredded leaves in his wake...

I was invited to visit for a day, but I have no interest in seeing my boys playing Lord of the Flies

So, upon re-reading this, I think yet another lesson for me is to post when I think of it, and not wallop y'all with these occasional sagas... and maybe to enjoy a little quiet time while I can...

the living is easy... right???
still looking for the pot of gold

6 comments:

Sandra said...

I TOTALLY love the Aerosmith tee with a suit - I hope my kid has the same style sense (and we can sneak it past his Dad...)
You got a warping board? Here I am slogging away with two little things on my kitchen table...
I left you my email on a previous comment - I can't get in touch with you...

Unknown said...

Now this is why I won't just let my kids run willy-nilly all over the internet!!! You totally rock and I don't. Those stars (and the labour that went with them) are incredible. A very excellent piece of memorabilia however and I tip my (handknit) hat to you Deirdre.

deirdre said...

Why thank you, Wannietta - I am blushing...

Miss Scarlett said...

The stars look fantastic! It really was worth all the work, the sparkling lungs and bloody fingers - none of those kids that took their stars home are going to forget it - you made something really special.

I seem to suffer from the same ailment - I just don't remember to take pictures!

I LOVE Tanner's outfit. Pretty darn cool for Gr.8. I'm impressed.

You look wonderful!

Lord of the Flies - you're too funny.
Hope things aren't too quiet for you...

rams said...

Well done, you. And as to your Harlot comment... NO, NO!!! It IS "bated," you're absolutely right! Do not waver! It gave me such pleasure to see someone do it right, and then you offered to defer...Stick to those guns; it's bated breath. Well done again.

-rams

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwm tell Tanner the attire was totally on...wearing a tie is all too stuffy for that event. He was probably the coolest dressed and felt the best, as well as looked. And yes, a darker bra...I will remember this little attire tid bit.

I am shocked...20,000 bucks you earned for the school? And where was your star? Those were amazing and I'm sure your number one fan was proud...
Kelly