Wednesday, August 15, 2007

We Survived!

Yes, we survived 2 1/2 hours of what would only be one hour on TV, with commercials - we survived...

American Idol Live! (and please - couldn't they manage a more kick-ass sponsor than Pop Tarts??!!)

It was about what I expected, the 10 finalists singing the songs they did on the show, a few group numbers interspersed with lame repartee - the kids and I were actually ready to go at the end of the first hour, but we stuck it out...

my biggest beef? My camera was confiscated upon entry, because the zoom lens is too - high? close? big? Maximum zoom allowed was 175, mine goes up to 300, so I had to check it at the front gate. Was I happy? Pissed beyond words was I. I had brought it intentionally, not to take oh, so fabulous pics of the performers, but so one of the boys could use it to see the stage, while the other used binoculars. This was the first time I even brought a camera to a concert - I didn't even bring one to see Colin James some months ago, and he would definitely have been worth photographing for posterity...

so here is the only picture I took all frigging nightThe Dome at night, shot from a moving vehicle...

sigh...

today I will be looking into Skydome (yes, I know, it's now the Rogers Centre, but as Wannietta and I have agreed, it will always be Skydome to we die-hards) policies around cameras to determine if this was concert or venue-specific, and I expect I will be sending an email to whomever I can to vent my frustrations, which were large...

In other news, my mom found a sweater that I made, oh, 20 years ago maybe?, which my aunt has long coveted and will be receiving shortly:
Early knitting
Remember when these were popular? There's a black sheep on the back, which I always found funny - I am just impressed with how well it has held up, and how neat the stranding on the inside is - shoot, I should have taken a picture of the inside (smacking self upside the head)...

knitting pictures will follow soon, but I do have stash pictures to share...
Dream in Color "Smooshy"SOTM from the Loopy EweIndulgence from The KnitteryMake 1 Yarn sock clubZen String sock club
These are mostly sock club installments, and are quite yummy...

However, I am finding myself feeling more than a little overwhelmed right now because of this sudden influx of yarn, so I am going to put this in writing now, and look to y'all for support and ass-kicking where needed:

As of September 1, unless it is specifically for gifts, I will not be buying any more yarn for AT LEAST 6 months. I will let my current sock clubs run their course, maybe keep up with one or two of them, but nothing else will be purchased. I have to get a handle on what I have, and stop being so damned acquisitive. I know why there is more yarn of late... there is a direct correlation for me between level of stress and depression, and increases in yarn piles around the house - it's better than booze or drugs, I know, but I am dangerously close to losing control altogether...

so I will try to take it by the horns and get myself back in control...

famous last words

As an aside, I have to thank Sheri at The Loopy Ewe for a fabulous sock club package - in addition to the gorgeous Claudia Hand Painted yarn you see, Sheri also included a couple of cute stitch markers (one of them is a donut a la Homer Simpson), a packet of cider mix, candies, a tiny reference booklet, and a poem tying it all together, all tucked into a clear plastic notions pouch - absolutely lovely!
SOTM from the Loopy Ewe

Now, off to have a little 'chat' with the folks at the Skydome...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Geez Deirdre - don'cha know that those high-quality,well focused and professionally composed camera pics of live concerts sell for big money on www.whothef#*&cares.com?

deirdre said...

You know, I'm only allowed out occasionally, so ideas like that just aren't on my radar... time to join the 21st century, obviously....