Sunday, January 28, 2007

Ode to My Socks

IMG_0049

I cannot lie, I love these socks -
My ardour I admit -
The colours flow, they're bright and warm,
and yes, by God, they fit!

I worry, though, about the holes
to come with heavy wearing -
But not to fear - another ball
I've stashed FOR ME - no sharing!

so it's not quite of the same calibre as Miss Scarlett's poetry readings... my taste runs more towards Dr. Seuss anyhow...

yes, I love them, and I am not ashamed to say so -
Pattern - my own basic, using Dutch Heel and Wedge Toe from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks (because I thought it might be fun to learn some new heels and toes - and now I know that I prefer the fit of a short-row heel to a Dutch Heel - does not detract from my love for these babies, though)
Yarn: Trekking XXL, colour #108
Started: November 17, 2006
Finished: January 25, 2007

And the instant the last end was tucked in, I decided I needed some mitts, as I am unable to feel my fingertips after walking the dogs in my pseudo-techno-plasticky sort of gloves. So, I dug out Flying Geese and Partridge Feet, by Robin Hansen/Janetta Dexter, with their mitten patterns from "up north and down east", and cast on the Chipman Block pattern, using Mission Falls 100% wool -
Chipman Block Mitts
the colours are actually a little tame for me, but I was trying to find something to work with a brown kicking around coat, and a beige-y nicer coat, which doesn't get a lot of air time, but still...nice to match, sometimes...

3 comments:

Miss Scarlett said...

I love your poem! And hey - when the sock fits that is THE best.

I am going to have to re-open my sock I just finished and knit the foot longer - the heel is not on my heel at all. I am not too crazy about the heel either- I much prefer the short row (this was Dutch too) and I don't like the toes either - they are pointy, ugh - so I might redo that as well.

Quick work on your mitts! They look great. You definitely need something warm for your hands walking the dogs. Perhaps you can manage a snap of your mittened hand holding their leashes - I love seeing pics of your dogs - especially the Kira look-alike.

Have a great day!

Hey I just switched to new blogger and I really like the labels for the posts too. Fun.

Anonymous said...

Hey, waiting for sideways, or has sideways gone by the wayside? I vote for the wayside. I've moved on from my sideways experience. Sorry. Let's try again.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I love those socks! And you (from quite a few posts back) have inspired me to purchase the wallaby pattern! I can't wait to get it and start knitting up a storm for my boys for winter. I wish I was a bit faster knitter though! lol. I am a little concerned about your package. I would have thought it would be there by now. I will give it another couple of weeks before I register it as a lost package with Australia Post. I hope it turns up in that time. Have you signed up for SP10?

anonknit