Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The pains of mismatching...

You'd think it would be so easy to mismatch socks - might be my anal-retentiveness rearing it's ugly head again...

Okay, so the first pair of socks for the twins is done - and I got a reprieve on the time, as we are now celebrating their birthdays - and mine - in early May, so I have lots of time to fiddle with these - however, in an attempt to break my usual habit of knitting to (right up to) deadlines, I am going to get started on these now and hopefully avoid the carpal burn...
One sock for each twin
Project: Basic Toe-Up Socks, my own pattern (not that it's really much of a pattern, just basic)
Yarn: Opal 'Feelings', #1702

Started: March 31, 2007
Finished: April 9, 2007

The socks look sort of crappy in the photo, but they don't fit properly on my sock blockers... but the colours are good, no?

So, now the puzzle of the second pair... must be a superwash wool of some sort because my sister-in-law does not like, nor have the time for, handwashing. Also need the nylon blend because they are 15 year old girls. So I have been thinking Opal or Regia or something similar.

This is what I have come up with:
Contenders for the twins

both are Opal yarns - ballbands not available, unfortunately. I'm thinking that the colourways are similar but the patterning will be vastly different, as well as being totally different from the completed pair - I'll make one sock from each ball, or maybe a pair, and then give them each three socks to mix and match at their leisure. Yeah, I think I'll go for the pair, and then they can play...

finished the sleeves on the current rendition of 'Bemidji', after having to rip out a good 6" worth - I was listening to a good book on my iPod, not really paying attention to the part of the instructions that said to stop increasing on both ends when the sleeve measured 17" across...

it was over 26" across and there was just no easing that puppy into the armholes... then I realized my lapse in knitting judgement, fixed it, and all is right again... so they are now blocking, and I will be casting on another AK sweater this afternoon - that, or picking up doggy doo in the backyard... hmm, such decisions...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, you have been busy blogging AND knitting! Love the updated pictures. Oh, Maggie looked so proud of herself with her new cut. Bandit always gives the ' I'm a little embarrassed look' with his winter coat gone. Suppose he feels a bit naked. Wish I could get a winter cut and lose that 5 pounds in an hour. Something to consider. I suppose we could sit in a sauna and knit for the day and walk out with baby socks and a little lighter on our feet.

Love the socks. I'm a stripe person. Finishing up a pair myself and will move on to the jaywalker pattern you sent me. Suppose you are done already?

And from viewing the packages you seem to get on a very regular basis, your mailman must really wonder what kinda business you are running from your house? Surely yarn people aren't this giving???

P.S. package on the way...sometime this week will depart from some country post office in Wisconsin.

Unknown said...

They would totally love having 3 socks to mis-match!!
Even with all of my anal/OCD tendencies, fraternal socks are surprisingly easy for me. I just can't be bothered trying to make them match!

deirdre said...

It's funny, I love the mis-matchiness of socks for myself - but this has really been a challenge for me...

and no, Kel, no jaywalkers yet - we are supposed to be doing them TOGETHER!!!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I love the mismatched pair of socks. I'm working on a pair that will go to charity (for a size 2-4 child), and I'm just hoping that whomever gets it will enjoy the mismatchedness of them too!

Shelley
http://kittenyarnsandcrafts.blogspot.com

Ang said...

oh I love the mismatching idea, the yarns look lovely and those stripey socks are great!

Interior Decorators Memphis said...

Greatt reading your blog