Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Canada Day

I'm not going to say "Happy Canada Day" because I find, for holidays other than Christmas, New Year's or birthdays, it just sounds silly.  Like, Happy Easter.  Just sounds all wrong to me, I don't know why.

Not to say that I am not happy to be a Canadian, nor that I don't think our country and heritage is worth celebrating.  Couldn't be further from the truth.  I just don't like wishing people Happy Canada Day, and I need a word other than silly to explain why.

My day today is a gift... most things are closed, so I can't go anywhere.  I have little $$ right now, which is further incentive to lay low.  My kids are off on their annual 'Lord of the Flies' RV trip with their dad and one of their friends.  So I shall putter.  

Lord, how I loves me a day to putter.  

While it's decent out, I shall putter in the garden.  When it rains, as is promised for later, I'll putter inside.  One advantage to living in a relatively clean but disorganized house is that there is endless puttering to be done.  Tonight, I join a similarly-childless friend for wine and (weather permitting) fireworks-watching on her beachfront.

Happy to be Canadian?  You betcha.  Just don't make me say it.

No comments: