Saturday, April 28, 2007

Frolic-ing through fields of...

well, yarn, of course...

Just in from the DKC Knitters' Frolic, and my goodness, how it has grown! I last went maybe 6 - 7 years ago? And it was in a church, I think, downtown, maybe 15 - 20 vendors, some workshops - just a nice, small, local-feeling kind of event.

Today's yarn-stravaganza was held at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre in Toronto, with over 70 vendors selling all manner of yarns and tools and books and just STUFF - way overwhelming! And of course I forgot my camera, so you will have to rely on others' reports for the visuals...

But I started off with a 9a.m. drop spindling class, taught by Lorraine Smith, who was just wonderful (the link takes you to a recent article she wrote for Knitty)!
I have tried this before with absolutely no success, but for some reason this time there was a little more clicking happening. Maybe it was the new drop spindle I had to buy for the class, made from cocobolo wood:New Drop Spindle.

Maybe it was the myriad of fibres we were invited to play with, ranging from shetland wool to merino to alpaca to silk/wool hand carded rolags...

or maybe it was finally explained to me in such a way that I GOT IT... yes, I made some kaka yarn:Shetland Wool - First Spin!
Merino / Alpaca - 2nd try

Actually, there are some patches in the second attempt, the bicolour, that look like real yarn - very exciting!

So a very satisfying morning - and then, of course, there were the vendors...

and I was SO GOOD - so well behaved, so restrained...

I HAD to get this - the colours are just too rich, too wonderful, and the jacket will be the perfect thing with my 'uniform' of jeans and t's:
IMG_0301

I think this is the jacket that Tanya was working on in a KAL at her LYS...
And, of course, the mandatory sock yarn purchase... because, as we all know, sock yarn doesn't count as stash... and this is one I don't see in shops, so it was totally okay: IMG_0302
The yarn is from Seacoast Handpainted Yarns, and the colourway is Sea/Sky/Sand - how summery is that?

You know, for someone with only two feet, I seem to have an awful lot of potential socks...

The other thought that crossed my mind was how much smaller the world seems because of blogs. They seem to create an overfamiliarity which strikes me as kind of funny. I poked around the Lettuce Knit booth, saw some scrumptious yarn which I did NOT buy (although it pained me physically to put it down) after asking the price - I then realized that I was speaking to Laura Chau of Cosmicpluto Knits! fame and was all set to start chatting with her when I thought for a second, hell, I don't really know her, I just read her blog faithfully, but I feel like I know her. She doesn't know me. I wonder how many well-known bloggers find themselves facing people who think they know them so well, and how they feel about it. This sort of instant comfort must be nice on some level, but maybe a little unnerving, too... I don't know, just wondering...

so there's my Saturday morning - came home to find that Maggie had eaten a WHOLE loaf of bread and an ENTIRE package of hot dogs buns, while foregoing the cookies and chocolate on the same counter - she is the Carb Queen, and unfortunately, on her hind legs, is tall enough to reach right to the back of the counter... naughty girl...

one Bemidji done for Artisan Knitworks, another blocking and the third of this batch about to be cast on - pics tomorrow - I must go and spindle... I'm so afraid I'll forget, and it won't work anymore!

6 comments:

Ang said...

oh such wonderful yarn! Well done on your spinning, I'm dying to try it one day!

Miss Scarlett said...

Hey - you're spinning looks pretty darn good to me! Especially the 2nd one. Looks like a lot of fun too.
Love that yarn you bought. Mmmm.
Sounds like you had a great time - it is an interesting thing to consider isn't it? This blog familiarity. I haven't thought a lot about it - but since I get to see the Yarn Harlot in another month (yipee!) it does make me think. With over 200 commenters each post, how could you check out people's blogs? So how odd is it that people know so much about you?
Curious.
Anywaaaays...
Maggie! Clever, clever girl. Oops. I mean Naughty. Too smart to eat the chocolate though - that says something!

deirdre said...

I wish I could say the spinning was easy - it sure looked easy for the instructor as she walked from student to student with her spindle going and yarn actually being spun...

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I didn't see you yesterday - don't know how I missed you, what with 900+ people milling around!! LOL
Good luck with the drop spindle. I've decided that if (when) I get to spinning that I will need a wheel. The drop spindle is just too slow for my liking.

Tanya said...

Congrats on the spinning. It looks great. Remember you are not trying to make yarn that looks 'machine' made... the sporaticness of the spinning is what makes it handspun! Keep trying, and I recommend pre-drafting as a beginner. It helped me a lot, and not I know longer need to pre-draft any more.
The garter stitch jacket is the same one I made my Mom, and I think that may even be the same colorway. It really is beautiful yarn. I haven't met a fleece artist yarn I didn't like though...

Carol said...

I was going to take that spindling class! Darn! I could've met you! But the Frolic was great fun and I have marked next year's date on my calendar already. Maybe NEXT year we can meet?