Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm so glad to be home...

Not! (Thank you, Wayne's World, which we have been watching much so far this summer)

I don't get to smell pine trees, or wake up to thisearly morning mist, or watch a black bear cub ambling across my front porch while sitting inside having a coffee (I actually thought it was Charlie at first, and by the time my poor brain registered that Charlie wasn't with us, it had gone off in search of dirtier barbecues)...

I can't drive down the road for 10 minutes and see this roadside spotting
and look who she brought along!

We can't pop into a canoe and find a view like thisCliff at Oxtongue LakeOxtongue Lake from our canoeOxtongue Lake (these pics were taken by Tanner - he has quite an eye, it seems!)

There aren't a lot of these Very friendly! or these Wouldn't you love to knit that?! - Duck on dockat least, they're not as friendly around here...

There has been some of this since we got homemultitasking - he's actually readingdown time, but the setting changes everything...

there was much playing of Monopoly - we actually had a week long game that ended with the 'Death Match on the final Saturday night - I lost quickly, and Ben was declared the winner with $180million, while Tanner was runner up with $43 million... not too shabby

somw swimming Water games although it wasn't as hot and humid as I'd hoped - still, nothing beats swimming in a lake to me, absolutely nothing...

there was even some knitting, although for some reason I had a VERY hard time focusing... I started some Jaywalker socks with a skein of Perfect Day Yarns as my easy project. While I loved the start of them start of jaywalkers, I soon found that because of the number of stitches, the three colours did not stripe together and I was ending up with this soon to be frogged jaywalker, which just isn't the look I'm going for. I also started a pair of Marina Piccola socks using merino/sea cell yarn from Unwind - took me three times to finally get the pattern and sizing set, and I quite like them Marina Piccola socks... the yarn makes for fairly weighty socks, which surprises me, actually...

I also got started on a KAL with the Loopy Ewe using Dream in Color Baby - I am making the Lace Ribbon Scarf from the Spring '08 Knitty, and after 5, count 'em, 5 attempts, FINALLY got the damn thing to look like it's supposed to...
IMG_1705

So we packed quite a bit into our week away, and still managed to relax and actually enjoy each other's company... hopefully that carries on through the remainer of our vacation, during what looks to be (of course, now that we're not on a lake anymore) a hot, hazy and humid spell...

So... am I glad to be home? Why don't you be the judge of that??

4 comments:

Sandra said...

You may not be glad to be home, but we're glad you're back.
Nic pictures! BUt then, it's hard to go wrong in the Near North of Ontario...
Swimming in a lake... that will happen Friday night... and Saturday and Sunday before coming back. I know we're lucky to have the cottage, and we thank the stars everytime we drive up to it.
As far as kniting? I stick to plain stockinette socks for waterside knitting. Way easier to handle...

Anonymous said...

Sha-wing!! Sorry, I've seen Wayne's World too many times too!
What beautiful scenery, moose and black bears are the stuff of dreams. Your knitting is looking wonderful too. and as Sandra said...glad to have you back.

Anonymous said...

awwww the kids enjoyed the nature pictures. We tried to get a little chippy to get close when camping last week. I have a picture of my dad with one on his lap too. It's Sam's goal to do the same thing, but he doesn't quite get that chasing them doesn't help matters. Looked like a nice week. Now back to reality...laundry...laundry...phones...internet ( thank goodness for that)...I missed ya!
Kelly

Miss Scarlett said...

Wow! Your cabin is in an awesome spot - the wildlife you get to interact with!

That baby moose is topped by the chipmunk stuffing its face right beside your son - that's too precious.

Imagine living in such a great spot! It's great to sleep in your own bed again but...the laundry from unpacking would be a nice thing to be able to skip.